[boulder.pm] CGI.pm basics + Ramblings

Bob Collins bcollins at csd.net
Thu Jan 20 23:28:09 CST 2000

Some Ramblings on stuff.

(See quoted note below)

Now this kind of answer to a question goes beyond just answering the
question.  The person asking the question doesn't feel stupid for
asking, others are encouraged to add their own comments or to present
another point of view.

I too have given the short answer, i.e. "Just put a ';' at the end of
the line."  It is the easy way out, but it doesn't promote a learning
and sharing environment.

I am new to perl. I joined the group hoping to pick up on some of the
things that you will never learn from the man pages.  I have all of the
O'Reilly perl books, they are great and have a lot of the answers.  I am
interested in MySQL.  I have "MySQL & mSQL" by O'Reilly and "MySQL" by
New Riders.  The "MySQL & mSQL", as far as I know, was the only book on
MySQL when I bought it.  It is worst book I have ever read.  I struggled
with it until "MySQL" came out.  It seems to be a much better book.

I can set here with all my books and learn things the hard way, learn
them twice because I learned another way is better.

I am not in a work environment.  I can't go down the hall and ask the
DBI expert to show me how he set up his interface to MySQL, find out why
he prefers it to PHP or just see what it looks like.

I joined a choir to sing.  I joined Toastmasters to learn to give better
talks.  If I wanted to socialize, I would join New Comers.  If
socializing is a part of the club, that is great.  It would seem to me,
to be a disappointment for most, if that is all it was.

--
Regards,
Bob Collins
                       bcollins at csd.net