[boulder.pm] activity on this list

Frank Holtry fholtry at lucent.com
Thu Jan 20 17:14:57 CST 2000

Walter Pienciak wrote:

> This list is pretty quiet -- damn quiet -- as lists go.  I
> made a deliberate decision when I started it: stay in the
> background and let it evolve into something the group wanted,
> rather than trying to control or direct it.
>
> But I'm wondering if that was a good strategy.  And if this group
> is in danger of dying for lack of something.  If so, I'd like to
> find out what that something is.
>
> Feedback time.  Stop lurking, put your fingers on the keyboards,
> and tell us why you're here, what you hoped the list/group would
> be, and what needs to happen to get it there.  Please.

I view the list as primarily an informational resource.  I have a
little experience in the area of Perl/Tk and, within the last couple
of weeks, X11::Protocol which I'd be happy to share, but even happier
to increase.  Perl Mongers has received lots of good press at the last
two O'Reilly conferences, so I decided to join one.

I live on the far east end of Broomfield, about exactly half-way between
Denver and Boulder, so it's a toss-up which way to drive.  Until very
recently, my three teenagers kept me fairly busy with taxi duties, so my
free time for after hours meetings was meager.  It freed up slightly
when
my daughter got a car of her own, and hopefully will become even freer
when her brother is able to drive himself.  I could use some social
activity after years of being a 'family man'.

I have a little project I've been working on for about a year that the
invitation is open for anyone who wants to join or contribute.  I have
a plugin for Netscape that lets you browse a Perl program and launch it.
If it happens to include displayable items -- Perl/Tk widgets,
Perl/OpenGL
drawings, etc. -- those can be made to display in the window provided by
the browser.  It needs lots of work in several areas: security (gpg
could be used ), X-event handling, particularly resizing of the browser,
porting to Win32 and maybe porting to IE and other browsers.  A
reasonably
current source is on CPAN:authors/id/f/fh/fholtry if anyone's curious.

> I'll go first.
>
> I was hoping for a group that existed not just on a mailing list,
> but that got together once in a while -- eat and drink, talk, whatever.
> At work we have a tech mailing list where we ask questions, forward
> URLs or interesting technical things we've found or learned, joke
> around, abuse each other good-naturedly.  We also get together for
> lunch once a month or so, or to make a bookstore run, and it all
> flows together pretty naturally.  (This last sentence is more
> historical:  since I'm now a full-time telecommuter for them, New
> Jersey is too far to go to have lunch.)
>
> I knew that Denver had a Perl Mongers group, but for me that's
> too far away.  I have a wife and three daughters, and between work
> and my kid shuttle service, my free time is worth a lot.  Besides,
> I'm not big on drinking and driving, and, well, Denver just wasn't
> piquing my interest.
>
> So I was looking for a way to hang out once in a while with some
> folks who do what I do.  A mix of list activity and actual getting
> together.  Maybe get away sometimes from the usual "let's have beer"
> geek stereotype and go do something outside or something.
>
> I haven't gone ahead and scheduled another meeting, but I didn't
> get many responses when I asked about preferred times/date.  Would
> it be easier if I just scheduled it rather than trying for some kind
> of consensus to develop?
>
> And what about those meetings?  Do you want formal "Tuturial on something"
> style meetings, or a place to hang out and brag, or a mix, or . . .
> what?  How often?
>
> We have 48 people on the list, each of whom was interested enough to
> sign up.  What do you want?
>
> Walter
>
> __
> Walter Pienciak
> Manager of Electronic Information, IEEE Standards Activities
>
> w.pienciak at ieee.org    http://standards.ieee.org/people/w.pienciak/
>                        http://walter.dsl.frii.net/
> +1 303 494 3756        P.O. Box 3780, Boulder, CO  80307-3780
>
> IEEE -- Networking the World

| Frank Holtry           | "If you have the right attitude,
interesting       |
| fholtry at lucent.com     |  problems will find
you."                          |
|                        |                            Eric S.
Raymond         |

|                        |         "The Cathedral and the
Bazaar"             |
(http://earthspace.net/~esr/writings/        |
cathedral-paper.html#toc13)               |