question on recruiters and list/group policy

Wayde Allen wallen at boulder.nist.gov
Fri Oct 8 14:44:12 CDT 1999

On Fri, 8 Oct 1999, Phil Hildebrand wrote:

> I think posting to the list is a great idea, ( I see positions on BLUG
> list every so often).

Yes, I allow job postings to the BLUG list, but only if they are topical
and don't become a nuisance.  I only remember one instance where I scolded
a guy for posting irrelevant material.  One thing that kind of helps to
limit this activity is that recruiters don't usually seem to be interested
in subscribing to the lists.  They only want to broadcast their job
descriptions.  In the case of BLUG they tend to contact me off line to see
about getting the word out, so I get to filter the messages.

> I don't think it would be as appropriate in a meeting since the meetings
> are usually technical in nature, unless there were a special meeting
> with a discussion on `what's out there for perl' or something.

I allow most anyone to make announcements at the BLUG meeting.  Again they
usually contact me first.  It isn't uncommon for someone to put out
flyers, and then announce their presence and the location of the flyers.
A short announcement is OK, but presentations are a different matter.

> I do believe that any postings to the list should be for perl-specific
> type openings/jobs/contracts, however.

I'd second that!

- Wayde
  (wallen at boulder.nist.gov)