hosting help for BCS Belfast?

Paul Dundas paul.dundas at btinternet.com
Fri Sep 19 08:14:25 CDT 2003

Here's an opportunity to raise Open Source's profile with the Belfast
business community (sort of).

Does anyone  know where I can get a low volume of virtual hosting (and
our domain name) for the British Computer Society Belfast Branch? I'd
like to be able to demonstrate the usefulness of the open-source
approach (and perl too) to that part of the Belfast Business Community.

And I have a small budget :-)

Basically, I'm trying to get the BCS Belfast Branch website more easily
looked after by our (BCS) committee. Since many of them are managers, I
thought a Wiki might be about the right level of complexity, and I was
quite impressed by the perl Kwiki demonstrated a few meetings ago..

In brief:-

We don't need a lot of bandwidth.
We don't need a lot of disk space.
We do need (want) our domain name.
We need (if we're using kwiki) shell /ssh access to get it installed.
File uploads for the odd document or event poster would be nice.
We don't particularly need email right now (though it might be nice to
forward mail @ourdomain to our chairman, and it might be nice to run a
members mailing list in the future - majordomo? sympa?)

So, can anyone point me at that sort of provider (local is fine)?

Or provide the hosting themselves (with a reasonable up-time) for a
modest donation to cover bandwidth / hardware costs? We can discuss this...

All help gratefully received!

Our current site is at UUJ, but they won't let us do very much. Though I
can't complain about the cost :)
http://www.infj.ulst.ac.uk/~bcs/

    Paul

--
 Paul Dundas  <paul.dundas at btinternet.com>
  We have enough youth. How about a fountain of SMART?