YAPC::Europe

Paul Dundas paul.dundas at btinternet.com
Sat May 17 03:11:45 CDT 2003

Marty Pauley wrote:

>Belfast Visitor and Convention Board http://www.gotobelfast.com/
>seems to be run by the Tourist Board.

It is. A mate of mine who works there told me about it, so I stuck it in
the open directory in the Belfast category, under  tourism. (Shameless
plug: more editors always welcome - http://dmoz.org/ ).

>Belfast Conference Bureau http://www.conferencebelfast.com/index.html
>I can't tell who runs this.

Same people who run

Dublin Conference Bureau, 45 Atlantis Ave. 1-00356  Dublin, Ph:  2 227 6000
Milan Conference Bureau, 45 Atlantis Ave. 1-00356  Milan, Ph:  2 227 6000
Moscow Conference Bureau, 45 Atlantis Ave. 1-00356  Moscow, Ph:  2 227 6000
Frankfurt Conference Bureau, 45 Atlantis Ave. 1-00356  Frankfurt, Ph:  2
227 6000
Cannes Conference Bureau
Oficina De la Conferencia De Cannes, 45 Atlantis Ave. 1-00356 Cannes,
Ph:  2 227 6000

and too many others to mention. It seems to be a device for extractiung
commission from organisers and hotels :-/  And you can draw whatever
conclusions you like from their ability to get the same address and
phone number in every city - maybe they are really well organised?

>>I never got round to investigating the feasability of it, but I wonder
>>if it would be possible to get some lottery funding for
>>YAPC::Europe::Belfast?
>>

>That's a good idea.  Would you be able to investigate this?

I seem to remember that there was/is an EU/government scheme for getting
half the Travel & Subsistence costs paid for cross-border,
multi-business events. We used it to fund a BCS trip down to see the ICS
and visit Intel's Fab Plant near Dublin, though I wasn't that involved
and can't remember the details.

Does this ring a bell with any financial genii?

>Are you going to YAPC::Europe::Paris this year?
>(I'll widen that question to anyone reading this.)

doubt it :-/

--
 Paul Dundas  <paul.dundas at btinternet.com>
  ACHTUNG! ALLES LOOKENSPEEPERS! Das Internet is nicht fuer gefingerclicken und giffengrabben.  Ist easy droppenpacket der routers und overloaden der backbone mit der spammen unt der me-tooen.  Ist nicht fuer gewerken bei das dumpkopfen.  Das mausklicken sichtseeren keepen das bandwit-spewin hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das cursorblinken.