YAPC::Europe

Nick Johnston sky at erupt.com
Thu May 15 14:35:52 CDT 2003

Marty Pauley wrote:

>On Thu May 15 09:02:08 2003, Nick Johnston wrote:
>

>>So if anyone wants to contact the tourist board, that might be an idea.
>>

>We were thinking about that.  Good idea.

I think the division of the tourist board is called the Belfast
Convention Bureau or something like that. Come to thing of it, it may
actually be run by the city council rather than the tourist board, but
hey, who can keep track of these government agencies these days?

I also had a bit of a crazy idea a while ago about having a UK wide Perl
conference in London, funded by the lottery. I had wanted to get lottery
money for the Perl Foundation, but I think the lottery grants bodies are
more interested in funding specific projects. To encourage wider
participation (lottery grant bodies seem to like that!) travel from
'remote' parts of the UK could be subsidised. I never got round to
investigating the feasability of it, but I wonder if it would be
possible to get some lottery funding for YAPC::Europe::Belfast?

>>I've got a great idea for a T-shirt design too. Most people probably won't
>>like it, but hey, publish and be damned. My idea is to have the two big
>>Harland & Wolff cranes with cave hill in the background, possibly with
>>some flax plants growing, as it's one of the semi-official non-politically
>>offensive symbols of NI.
>>

>So we can forget about the "Camel with Balaclava" now.

Somehow I don't think that would really portray the right image ::grin::
All joking aside, we should also be using this conference to improve
peoples' perceptions and opinions of NI.

What ideas do other people have for T-shirt designs, just out of interest?

I think YAPC in Belfast could work. With direct flights from Amsterdam
now and flights from virtually every major airport in the UK, Belfast is
reasonably accessible from the rest of the UK and continental Europe.

- Nick