[CHALLENGE] Boggle

Marty Pauley marty+belfast-pm at kasei.com
Wed Jan 29 08:14:31 CST 2003

On Wed Jan 29 12:13:44 2003, Russell Matbouli wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 28, 2003 at 06:07:57PM +0000, Marty Pauley wrote:
> > The winning program will be the fastest to produce the correct output.
> > In the event of a tie in speed, the most elegant code wins.
>
> How will the program be timed?

Using the shell builtin 'time' function.

> Do you have a timing harness you could share with us?

No.  I'm not planning to be very accurate, so it shouldn't matter.
Don't worry about shaving fractions of a second off your program run
time, and don't worry about compile and load time either (so you can
continue to use strict if you want).  Optimise your looping constructs,
if you still use such primitive algorithms. :-)

I've been almost convinced to have 2 winners: one for the fastest
program and another for the most elegant.  I might do this.

Also, I've extended the deadline by 1 day since Marc wants to enter but
we are making him work during the week.  So, I'll expect your answers by
end of Saturday.

I have already received one submission, and seen at least one other.

--
Marty