We just don't know.

Stray Toaster mwk at stray-toaster.co.uk
Wed Feb 19 04:02:56 CST 2003

On Sun, Feb 16, 2003 at 02:49:37PM -0800, schwern at pobox.com wrote:
> Oh yeah, what am I talking about when I get there?  Requests?
>
> I warn you not to just let me ramble.  Last time that happened the
> subject turned into Class::DBI and XXX Video Databases.

Rambling is fine, in fact, we will be disappointed if you don't ramble.
And fight. And shout. And get annoyed with our stupid, stupid questions.
(OK, just mine then.)

> Actually, if I had my way I might be inspired to finish writing
> "Sufficiently Encapsulated Magic Is Indistinguishable From Technology"
> about how using frightening Perl Magic inside a module can produce
> smooth, DWIM interfaces outside with no evidence of the turmoil going
> on underneith.  Lots of stuff about using tying, closures, custom import()
> routines, symbol table hacks, etc...  Explaining how things like CLASS.pm,
> Class::Accessor, Class::Data::Inheritable, Sub::Uplevel and File::chdir
> work.  A cro-magnon version of the talk is here:
> http://www.pobox.com/~schwern/talks/Sufficiently_Encapsulated_Hacks/

What you said. Yes, I like this one. And as no one else seems to have a
preference, that is what it will be!

> Or I could give the talks I was going to give at the German Perl Workshop.
> "MakeMaker is DOOMED!  Use Module::Build" which is really just me ranting
> about how much I hate MakeMaker and how much better Module::Build is,
> and "Y I Like YAML" which is really just me ranting about how much I hate
> XML and how much better YAML is.  The MakeMaker part is here:
> http://www.pobox.com/~schwern/talks/MakeMaker_Is_DOOMED/
>
> Thoughts?  Preferences?

I read about this on perl.com, which has something to do with Simon. Not
sure what. No, not Module::Build, perl.com. That has to do with Simon.

Although, after you have finished the first talky bits, a YAML talk
would be good. Got to get our money out of you, I reckon.

m.

--
Sharon: I was like, totally shocked when I read swm's postings on the list. I thought he was a quiet boy.
Everyone else: *racuous laughter*

--
Family ties : http://www.thefamilykerr.co.uk
Playtime    : http://www.stray-toaster.co.uk