A bizarre but plausible idea for a sponsor

Nick Johnston sky at erupt.com
Fri Aug 22 17:44:09 CDT 2003

Karen Pauley wrote:

>On Fri Aug 22 18:52:32 2003, Nick Johnston wrote:
>

>>Karen Pauley wrote:
>>
>>>n Thu Aug 21 21:30:56 2003, Nick Johnston wrote:
>>>
>>>I don't think that it's a bad idea.
>>>

>>Well, that's pretty good I suppose. I was expecting to be shot down in
>>flames.
>>

>People are happy to argue about T-shirts - not so sure that they will
>argue to the same level about sponsors :)

Well I'm still not happy about the whole T-shirt thing, but I don't want
to get back into all that!

>>Looking beyond tech companies is a good idea. I wonder if an airline
>>(e.g. Flybe or easyJet) might be prepared to sponsor the conference (by
>>possibly offering discount?) as no doubt lots of people will complain
>>that travelling to Belfast is too expensive/awkward (which I don't agree
>>with, but that's another story!).
>>

>Marty is looking at this.

Good, we should also point out to people coming from the UK mainland
that coming to NI is no more expensive than going to Paris (even on the
Eurostar), Amsterdam or Munich. And there are flights from virtually
every major UK airport to Belfast. And with a direct flight from
Amsterdam now we are reasonably easy to get to from Europe. Sometimes I
think I should be working for the tourist board!

>>However, are you prepared to do all the dealing with potential sponsors,
>>or are you happy for people to approach sponsors they think of
>>themselves? While I wouldn't have any problem with doing it, I think it
>>would be better if enquries about sponsorship came from someone
>>'officially' connected with the conference.
>>

>I am not happy with people contacting sponsors themselves.  All
>approaches to sponsors will be made by someone officially connected with
>the conference.  I am very happy for people to suggest sponsors, as you are
>doing, and also very happy for people to contact me if they specifically
>want to be involved in this area.  I will be co-ordinating all the
>various things that need to be done.  I already have lots of emails from
>people who wish to help but I'm happy to have more :)

As I expected, but I just wanted to clarify.

>I have been working with Marty and Russell to produce a sponsorship pack
>detailing what we will be providing for different levels of sponsorship.

Great, that will make the conference seem more professional.

>>Slightly OT: are we going to have notepads next year? I really didn't
>>like the fact that there were none in Paris. I know most people probably
>>didn't miss them, but what about poor laptop-less people like me :-) ?
>>

>I missed them too.  They are on the list of things that we are going to
>try to get sponsorship for.  I really liked the notepads that were given
>out at the YAPC in Amsterdam.

The ones in Munich were good too. I think they'd probably be quite
expensive, and if not many people need them perhaps
$num_conference_attendees / 2 notepads could be produced and distributed
on request? Or they could be A5 size to cut down the cost?

Perhaps Kwikcopy could sponsor the printing of the notepads? They seem
very keen to expand.

>If people have ideas on the sorts of things they would like to see at
>the conference - please feel free to suggest them.  I got a great list
>from Wesley detailing some of the things he would like to see.

Well, I made some notes on the organisation of YAPC::2003, so here are
my suggestions:
- Radio/wireless microphones: several speakers including Mark Jason
Dominus like to walk around while they're giving a talk and having only
fixed microphones can make it difficult to hear the speaker unless
they've got a good speaking voice.
- Not many copies of the schedule were on display at YAPC::2003. Yes, I
know it's a minor point, but when you're carrying a glass of Coke in one
hand and a camera in the other, getting the schedule out of your bag is
a bit of a pain. A few copies of the schedule up on the walls around the
break area would be great.
- Drinks: I don't like drinking hot drinks, so I'd appreciate a range of
cold drinks (ideally Coke, water and orange juice)
- What? No CPAN CD or "Perl Inside" spoof Intel sticker? Or "If you
don't know Perl, you don't know dick" sticker? Or the conference
proceedings on CD?