A bizarre but plausible idea for a sponsor

Karen Pauley karen at martian.org
Fri Aug 22 13:11:32 CDT 2003

On Fri Aug 22 18:52:32 2003, Nick Johnston wrote:
> Karen Pauley wrote:
>
> >On Thu Aug 21 21:30:56 2003, Nick Johnston wrote:
> >
> >I don't think that it's a bad idea.
> >
> Well, that's pretty good I suppose. I was expecting to be shot down in
> flames.

People are happy to argue about T-shirts - not so sure that they will
argue to the same level about sponsors :)

> Looking beyond tech companies is a good idea. I wonder if an airline
> (e.g. Flybe or easyJet) might be prepared to sponsor the conference (by
> possibly offering discount?) as no doubt lots of people will complain
> that travelling to Belfast is too expensive/awkward (which I don't agree
> with, but that's another story!).

Marty is looking at this.

> However, are you prepared to do all the dealing with potential sponsors,
> or are you happy for people to approach sponsors they think of
> themselves? While I wouldn't have any problem with doing it, I think it
> would be better if enquries about sponsorship came from someone
> 'officially' connected with the conference.

I am not happy with people contacting sponsors themselves.  All
approaches to sponsors will be made by someone officially connected with
the conference.  I am very happy for people to suggest sponsors, as you are
doing, and also very happy for people to contact me if they specifically
want to be involved in this area.  I will be co-ordinating all the
various things that need to be done.  I already have lots of emails from
people who wish to help but I'm happy to have more :)

I have been working with Marty and Russell to produce a sponsorship pack
detailing what we will be providing for different levels of sponsorship.

> Slightly OT: are we going to have notepads next year? I really didn't
> like the fact that there were none in Paris. I know most people probably
> didn't miss them, but what about poor laptop-less people like me :-) ?

I missed them too.  They are on the list of things that we are going to
try to get sponsorship for.  I really liked the notepads that were given
out at the YAPC in Amsterdam.

If people have ideas on the sorts of things they would like to see at
the conference - please feel free to suggest them.  I got a great list
from Wesley detailing some of the things he would like to see.

All the best,

Karen