A bizarre but plausible idea for a sponsor

Karen Pauley karen at martian.org
Thu Aug 21 16:06:38 CDT 2003

On Thu Aug 21 21:30:56 2003, Nick Johnston wrote:

> Yesterday I had an interesting idea for a sponsor for YAPC::Europe
> 2004 in Belfast: Rox Energy Drink! Yes, I know it sounds strange, but,
> listen to my reasoning: - geeks and coders tend to like caffeine -
> lots of people at YAPC::Europe 2003 (including myself) were quite
> tired during a lot of the talks, so having a quite highly caffeinated
> cold drink available would be a good thing :-) - unlike its major
> rival Red Bull, Rox is still relatively unknown and not widely
> distributed, and is looking to expand throughout NI and RoI - RoX is
> sold in several other European countries where people will be coming
> to the conference from, so they can buy it when they get back home
>
> What do you all think?

I don't think that it's a bad idea.

> It's a strange idea, but well, publish and be damned!

I'm looking at a whole range of sponsors for next years YAPC and I'm not
planning on limiting these to tech companies.  It's also quite plausible
that we will be able to get sponsorship from a company who wants people
to buy their drinks as long as you are trying to get the drink from them
and not money.  I will certainly by contacting Guinness :)

--
Karen