stupid DBI

Jasper McCrea jasper at guideguide.com
Wed Aug 20 08:52:40 CDT 2003

Jasper McCrea wrote:

> Tim Bunce wrote:
> >
> > No, stupid driver. That is, assuming "#" is a valid comment
> > character for the driver you're using - which you don't mention.
> > Try using the SQL standard (C style) comments: /* ... */
> >
> > Tim.
>
> crikey, who'da thunk he'd be listening!?!!?

I'm still confused here.

# is a valid comment for the mysql driver. If I remove the '?' from the comment,
it works fine.

/* */ comments have exactly the same problems.

-- comments work without the '?', don't work with it.

This isn't an insurmountable problem, because I can just remove the line, but
why is this a driver issue and not a DBI issue? Surely DBI is sending the parsed
query or whatever to the SQL driver. DBI is not recognizing that the ? is within
a comment, and is expecting a variable to fill it in. That can't be right.

Humble apologies if I've got this totally arse-about-tit.

Jasper