YAPC logo

Nick Johnston sky at erupt.com
Sun Aug 3 17:19:39 CDT 2003

Simon Cozens wrote:

>Nick Johnston:
>

>>our country. I really wish people wouldn't even jokingly suggest
>>balaclavas, petrol bombs or anything like that for the t-shirt: it's not
>>funny, and why on earth would you want to put that on a t-shirt?
>>

>Brand recognition. When people Out There think "Belfast", do they think about
>the beauty of the Lagan, the David and Goliath cranes, or perhaps, people
>bombing the shit out of each other?
>
>If I offend enough people with this, will they take the initiative and come up
>with a better logo themselves?
>
>Oh, look, OK then... http://alibi.simon-cozens.org/~simon/yapc-2.png

I much prefer your second effort.

As for "brand recognition", yes, they probably do think of people
"blowing the shit out of each other", but shouldn't we be hoping to
*change that perception*?! <sarcasm> Perhaps I should have suggested to
the organisers of YAPC::Europe 2002 in Munich that the t-shirt featured
Hitler, followed by a group of Islamic extremists killing several
Israeli athletes when the olympics were held in Munich. </sarcasm>

As for a logo, well, I'm no graphic designer, but I have proposed a
design for the t-shirt: the two cranes of Harland and Wolff with cave
hill in the background, maybe with a camel and some flax plants. Or a
picture of the Giant's Causeway, or the Titanic... there are so many
possibilities.

- Nick