YAPC::Europe::2003

David Elbez lacravate at mongueurs.net
Mon Apr 28 11:30:13 CDT 2003

Dear fellow Perl mongers,

Your Tsar gave me leave to talk to you directly as we deem it is necessary.

My name is David and i am a humble member of the YAPC::Europe::2003
organisation committee. This message is an announcement about...
Well guess what...;-)

We didn't broadcast any message or announcement before save on "use perl", and
generally speaking, we didn't communicate much so we thought we needed to reach
as many of you as possible, as quickly as possible too.

So here we are and let's start with the basics.

As you no doubt already know (but it's harmless to mention it again), the
conference will be held this year in Paris on July 23-25, a truly fine time of
the year to learn more about Perl and be a visitor in Paris.

You will be able to find more and updated information about the conference
at this address :
http://yapc.mongueurs.net
(http://www.yapc.org/Europe/2003/index.html is _not_ up to date even though we are
working on it with YAS)

You will be able to registrate at this address (you don't have to pay right
away) :
http://yapc.mongueurs.net/yapc/join

(Please do it if you feel like coming to the conference, it will help us to count
you and prepare things for the best.)

If you feel like crossing the line that's separating you from the speaker's
crew, the gurus, or if you are already one, this page will show how to submit
your talk :
http://yapc.mongueurs.net/yapc/static/cft.html

If you know a person or company who wants to sponsor the conference, you can
indicate this page :
http://yapc.mongueurs.net/yapc/static/sponsors.html

Your spouse prefers the Louvre Museum to Perl, mention this after logging there :
http://yapc.mongueurs.net/yapc/private/
(after you registered)
If there are enough people we would be glad to setup something for them.

If you feel any sudden and overwhelming Fear, Uncertainty or Doubt ;-) about
the conference, you can reach us at this e-mail address :
yapc-help at mongueurs.net

Eventually, you will find a few informations about Paris itself handy on this
first website, along with the french yellow pages (with area maps) on this
second one :
http://www.paris.org/

http://www.pagesjaunes.fr/pj.cgi?
http://www.pagesjaunes.fr/pj.cgi?lang=en (english version, obviously ;-)

There, you will be able to realise how truly in the center, and thus nicely
located, the venue is. We insisted on having the conference as close to the
center of Paris as could be to allow the attendees to easily turn themselves
into happy tourists.

That's why we found a most prestigious venue, an old and venerable, partly
gothic building, right in the center of our city. (you can have a glimpse
of it on the website)

That point, being definitely a good one, unfortunately doesn't come without
its drawback. This is where we're leaving the basics.

Paris is the most visited city in the world and you will be there in its
center at the hotest part of the year, on the temperature but also the tourism
point of view. We do want to warn you that, under these conditions, finding a
transport for the precise date you would have choosen, but moreover finding a
hotel as close to the venue as you would wish it, won't be a trifling matter
at all.

The conference is approximately 3 months ahead of us and we can assure you that
it's already none too soon to look at what you want, where, at which price.

Aware and concerned about this critical issue, we are willing to help you as
much as we can, as much as Paris conditions allow. Our idea is to carry on one
of the main concepts of YAPC : getting together, during and after the talks.
Here is how we plan to achieve this : for each "pack" of ten willing to get
together, a member of the "hotel team" will try and find hotel rooms in the
same hotel for those people. So if you are a group of ten or more people (there
are some in Europe), or even though you are less than that but you would be glad
to "pack", send an email to this address, giving as much specification as you can.

yapc-accomodation at mongueurs.net

If we find a suitable place, we will send you an e-mail back giving you the number
to call to book your room.
Don't send an e-mail 5 days before the conference, we are there for help not
emergency (let alone despair :). We don't promise anything for any appeal
within the last 30 days.

This announcement comes to an end, i hope it was of interest and help.
Don't hesitate to send an e-mail to any of the addresses you know now,
including mine. Feel free to ask or reject my writing to you again on this
list.

In any case, I hope as well to see you pretty soon in Paris.

Best regards,

David for the YAPC organisation team.