from a java coder to me

Stray Toaster mwk at stray-toaster.co.uk
Tue Oct 1 03:49:13 CDT 2002

He thought this was funny.

EXTERIOR: DAGOBAH -- DAY
           With Yoda strapped to his back, Luke climbs up one of the
        many thick vines that grow in the swamp until he reaches the
        Dagobah statistics lab. Panting heavily, he continues his
        exercises -- grepping, installing new packages, logging in as
        root, and writing replacements for two-year-old shell scripts
        in Python.

YODA: Code!  Yes.  A programmer's strength flows from code maintainability.
      But beware of Perl.  Terse syntax... more than one way to do it...
      default variables.  The dark side of code maintainability are they.
      Easily they flow, quick to join you when code you write.  If once
      you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny,
      consume you it will.

LUKE: Is Perl better than Python?

YODA: No... no... no.  Quicker, easier, more seductive.

LUKE: But how will I know why Python is better than Perl?

YODA: You will know.  When your code you try to read six months from
      now.

He asked me t'other day as to whether he should learn perl or python. So
we entered into a heated discussion, with ended with him asking if he
had sufficently wound me up. bah.

And all I said is that you should use the right tool for the right job.
It just so happens that a lot of the time that is perl.

I don't think he is on our list, but if he is, I just want to say
publically that I am not the most closed mind person he knows!

m.

--
I didn't have to use my AK
Today was A Good Day