French Cinema was [Re: Lightning talk]

Peter McEvoy Peter.McEvoy at barcouncil-ni.org.uk
Tue May 14 10:22:59 CDT 2002

> On Tue, May 14, 2002 at 11:59:20AM +0100, Andrew Wilson wrote:
> > As for french cinema.  French people couldn't make films if you set
> > their arse on fire and told them it wouldn't be put out
> until they made
> > a decent film.
>
> I finally got around to articulating this properly:
>
> http://www.rivendale.net/blog/2002_05_12_blog_index.html#76534706
>
> Apologies for my "arse on fire comment"[0].

I considered replying to this earlier, but, for some reason, thought better
of it.
Read your blog, i never thought that much of Luc Besson, but to rubbish the
whole of French cinema is, imo, doltish. What about La Jetee? which the
excellent 12 monkeys is based on, or, and i can admit this wouldn't have
universal appeal but being heavily into hip hop i loved it, La Heine?
Doberman? I recently watched Amelie - bloody fantastic film, dragged on a
bit, but great non the less.
Don't get me wrong, i'm not defending the french, bloody arrogant shower of
garlic eating, onion wearing wankers for the most part, but they can have
their moments.
Oh, and i think you should keep your eyes open for the up and coming film
"Baise Moi" - me thinks you might like that ;)
Cheers
Pete