crypting

Marty Pauley marty+belfast-pm at kasei.com
Mon Jun 10 08:17:07 CDT 2002

On Mon Jun 10 12:33:50 2002, Scott McWhirter wrote:
> I'm looking for the fastest and decently secure way of generating one
> way crypt for use with Apache::AuthCookie. Michael Schout recommends MD5
> hex for this but i was just wanting a litle input... not that it matters
> in OO but for future reference it would be handy to know.

Before answering your question I will demonstrate my pedantry by stating
that "one way crypt" is actually not encryption at all: it is "hashing".

Using a popular hashing algorithm is best, so I would also recommend
MD5; the only other serious contender would be SHA.

I prefer encoding the hash in base64 rather than hex since the resulting
string is shorter.

What are you planning to use this for?

--
Marty