Damian in Belfast

Tony Bowden tony-belfast at kasei.com
Thu Jan 10 04:05:24 CST 2002

On Thu, Jan 10, 2002 at 02:05:24AM +0000, Russell Matbouli wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 09, 2002 at 11:46:32PM +0000, David Cantrell wrote:
> > And if any of the Belfast.pm crowd have suggestions for hotels, we'd be
> > grateful for your advice.
> As for hotels, I guess the main ones would be the Europa, Dukes and the
> Hilton, but I can't give reviews as I've never had to stay in a hotel in
> Belfast... If no-one else suggests places, I can look in the yellow
> pages and you can call around for prices.

You should stay in the Europa if you like being able to tell people you
stayed in the most bombed hotel in Europe. (You should be perfectly
safe, it hasn't been bombed for a few weeks now ...)

Jury's Inn is fairly central, and fairly decent[1] in a pretty basic
way.  It's about 70 quid per room. The Hilton ranges from a bit more than
that, up to about twice that. The Europa would be at the higher end of
that.

Dukes is more a student[2] drinking place, so I don't know what the
accomodation is like. If you're looking at the University area then
Renshaws a few doors down is fine too. Although both will suffer from
the 'bad disco late at night' problem.

In terms of locale, anywhere within the downtown or university area is
pretty central. Belfast isn't really that big a place...

Tony

[1] Disclaimer: I've never stayed in the one in Belfast, but the others
I've stayed in have been fine.

[2] Not the Laverys type of student. The type who doesn't mind drinking
with old men. Although not really the Fly[3] type of old men. More the
old men who want to pretend they're still young, or something.

[3] Before it went all poncy. Back when it had jazz on a saturday
afternoon and a yard of ale contest and a monkey and stuff.