Programming Contest

Michael G Schwern schwern at pobox.com
Fri Feb 8 04:49:03 CST 2002

On Fri, Feb 08, 2002 at 10:17:19AM +0000, Scott McWhirter wrote:
> just thought i'd tell you google are running a programming contest. The
> info is at use perl.

Its C++, Java, and after some debate, Python only.  They've specificly
said: No Perl.  No Lisp.  Because obviously Perl and Lisp are no good
at munging large amounts of formatted text. [1]

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&group=google.public.programming-contest&selm=257fd06c.0202071532.14b1997b%40posting.google.com

> Also: GOLF
> Convert lowercase alphanumeric text to uppercase without the use of uc() or
> substitutions.

$foo=join"",map chr ord($_)-32,split//,$foo;

[1] I think the real reason why is because Google uses C++, Java and
Python in-house.  But they're stubbornly refusing to explain
their choices, so that's just speculation.

--

Michael G. Schwern   <schwern at pobox.com>    http://www.pobox.com/~schwern/
Perl Quality Assurance	    <perl-qa at perl.org>	       Kwalitee Is Job One