sql/perl/dbi reference?

Michael G Schwern schwern at pobox.com
Mon Aug 12 18:44:15 CDT 2002

On Mon, Aug 12, 2002 at 06:10:06PM +0100, Andrew Gallagher wrote:
> > > Can anyone recommend a good postgresql/perl/dbi book or resource? I'm
> > > looking to use sql as a back-end to my (perl) sys-management scripts.
> >
> > Well you could always look at the Class::DBI documentation. That may
> > save you having to worry too much about the details.
>
> I really would rather know more about the details. :-)

Repeat this mantra:

       I hate SQL.

that should cover the details of Class::DBI. :)

Good DBI book... there isn't one AFAIK.  The O'Reilly book is the only one I
know of and it isn't much more than out-of-date man pages on dead trees. :(
Read the man pages.

Good PostgreSQL book... O'Reilly just published one, I have a copy but
haven't read it yet.  I believe New Riders has one and they usually publish
decent stuff.

Good SQL book... the best SQL reference I've found so far is the MySQL
documentation.  That plus a decent SQL92 reference (so you know what's
'standard' and what's MySQL) should do you.  I don't know of any good SQL
tutorials anymore.  "Database Design For Mere Mortals" is a not-horrible
introduction to table design, but includes not enough theory.  Or too much
theory.

--

Michael G. Schwern   <schwern at pobox.com>    http://www.pobox.com/~schwern/
Perl Quality Assurance      <perl-qa at perl.org>         Kwalitee Is Job One