Website in slightly better condition

Andrew McFarland aamcf at aamcf.co.uk
Tue Apr 9 17:03:39 CDT 2002

At 19:56 09/04/02 +0100, Andrew Wilson wrote:
>So, what's a multiview and how would one go about turning it on.  I

 From the apache docs:

"A MultiViews search is enabled by the MultiViews Option. If the server
receives a request for /some/dir/foo and /some/dir/foo does not exist, then
the server reads the directory looking for all files named foo.*, and
effectively fakes up a type map which names all those files, assigning them
the same media types and content-encodings it would have if the client had
asked for one of them by name. It then chooses the best match to the
client's requirements, and returns that document."

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/mod_negotiation.html

It is useful if you want to change a resource from one kind of file to
another, or offer one sort of file to some browsers but another to others.
For example, all the images on http://aamcf.co.uk/ are linked to using URIs
like `http://aamcf.co.uk/images/blue'. Each graphic is there as a GIF and a
PNG. Browsers that request a PNG in preference to GIF get a PNG, and vice
versa. I could replace all the graphics with JPEGs and everything would
still work.

For more on why you would want to do this, see

http://www.w3.org/Provider/Style/URI.html

(mod_speling is a similar sort of toy which is worth playing with if you
feel so inclined.)

Andrew

--
http://aamcf.co.uk/