dbi question

Michael G Schwern schwern at pobox.com
Sun May 13 12:47:41 CDT 2001

On Sun, May 13, 2001 at 01:19:04PM +0100, Stray Toaster wrote:
> That is, the explicit call a handle, then explicitly destroy it.(I
> don't mind the making, it is the disconnect that is bugging me.)

You're following the road that lead to Ima::DBI and Class::DBI.
Consider using Ima::DBI as it will negociate all that connecting when
needed for you.

Poke through:
http://www.pobox.com/~schwern/papers/Class-DBI/Class-DBI-paper.pod

> So how do I avoid all that then? I am sure I am missing the obvious

What Leon said, don't disconnect and reconnect in each method, just
leave it open.  Under anything but MySQL, connecting can be sluggish.
And use connect_cached().

--

Michael G. Schwern   <schwern at pobox.com>    http://www.pobox.com/~schwern/
Perl6 Quality Assurance     <perl-qa at perl.org>	     Kwalitee Is Job One

The Internet is being scanned for viruses.