Bath.pm March 12 Meeting Report

Mark Fowler mark at profero.com
Wed Mar 13 09:09:12 CST 2002

On Wed, 13 Mar 2002, Magnus Huckvale wrote:

> Since I have my laptop with me, I've decided to take some notes in an
> effort to provoke some small discussion on the list.

Laptops and beer don't mix Magnus.  Or those dodgy drinks you drink.

>  * Wiki/Content Management
>    - Magnus explains why Wiki is no good for his latest domain name

Why not?  Too free form?

>  * Perl 6
>    - No-one sees the point in Perl 6 and we don't think it will take off
>    - Amias 'kind of' sees the point
>    - Richard points out that the vast legacy perl in CPAN could be the
> biggest problem
>    - Perhaps perl 6 will end up being used mostly in universities to
> give the clever people there something to think about
Maybe.  I doubt it though.  Some people will use it where they currently
use perl and where they use ruby.

It really depends on how widespread parrot becomes and how useful it is
outside of pure Perl 6 useage.

>    - Jez suggests that perl 6 is becoming a different languages and
> should therefore have a different name

This is a very long discussion that we've had on the London.pm list.  I
think it could do with a new name, or at least a sub-brand.  But that's
just me.

>    - Magnus reckons that VB6 was probably more backwards compatible with
> VB5 than Perl 6 and 5 will be

Yes.  The VB releases are roughtly equiv to the  difference between 5.6
and 5.8.

Simon Wistow (muttley, simon at thegestalt.org) is currently fishing for this
kind of commentary, to prepare for a 'debate' he's organising with Damian
and Co at a conference (TPC?)  Would you send him your opinions please?

>  * Richard S suggests a pub that serves food and beer for next time
>    - The Porter would be nice but would be very busy
>    - The Bell serves sandwiches but is a long way away
>    - Magnus says if anyone wants to suggest other pubs they can

The grapes, if you get there early enough.  Maybe a little small.

Later.

Mark.

--
  Mark Fowler