Bath.pm

Leon Brocard leon at netcraft.com
Wed Jul 7 04:56:05 CDT 1999

Josette Garcia wrote:

> As I am sure you are aware, O'Reilly & Associates have been friends of Perl,
> Perl users and Perl developers for a number of years. To date we have
> published numerous books including Perl Programming, Perl Cookbook, Perl in
> a Nutshell etc. We are also hosting a yearly conference in the US - this
> year it will be held in Monterey, California on August 21-24. A reminder -
> should you wish to go please book before July 15th and save $200.

Hi. As I'm sure you're aware, Monterey is very expensive
indeed to get to from Europe, which is probably why no
Bath.pm-ers will make it to the conference this year.

> In January 99, we founded an office in the UK (4 Castle Street, Farnham GU9
> 7HS). As marketing manager for O'Reilly UK Limited, I would like to develop
> closer links with the Perlmongers and their members. Could you please help
> me by answering some question?

Yes, although I haved filled most of these in already,
while subscribing to the O'Reilly user group program.

> 1. When did you start the group?

January 1999.

> 2. What is your official address?

Bath Perl Mongers
1 Somerset Street
BATH BA1 1TS

> 3. How many members have you got in your group?

Around 10.

> 4. When do you meet and where?

We meet (very informally) at The Hobgoblin in Saint
James's Parade, Bath, every Wednesday from 6pm.

> 5. Do you organize a yearly conference?

No, but after founding Amsterdam.pm and with my contacts
in London.pm I hope to organize perhaps a European YAPC...

> 6. Do you organize tutorials?

Not at the moment.

> 7. Do you publish a Newsletter?

Euuugh, *hardcopy*?

> 8. How do you publicise the group's activities?

Through the webpage and mailinglist.
<URL:http://bath.pm.org/>

> 9. How do you recruit new members?

Mostly through word-of-mouth, although we hope to get lots
of students interested by organizing things once uni
starts again.

Newsgroups and emailing webmasters in Bath wasn't
very effective.

> To thank you for your time, I would like to offer your group a copy of
> Mastering Algorithms with Perl on publication (August/September).

Cheers!

> I look forward to hearing from you.

Do you have any events planned in Europe or the UK? Would
you be interested in sponsoring a small UK conference?

Leon
--
Leon Brocard................................http://bath.pm.org/
leon at netcraft.com........................http://www.astray.com/

...I'm not an actor, but I play one on TV