[Banking-pm] How odd is UKP 100K and telecommuting for a banking developer job?

Tara Andrews tla at mit.edu
Wed Jul 4 03:40:32 PDT 2007

On 4 Jul 2007, at 11:26, Raf wrote:

> The impression I got was that their current team is one of 'outstanding'
> indviduals who are all ox-bridge, yale, mit, etc - with very unique, weird
> and wacky histories and hobbies.  I used to work with two of them
> previously and must stress that they were 'across-the-board' hardcore.

> > I think the "Onsite:No" must be a mistake.
> It is a mistake, based on what I heard previously..  That said, I was told
> that one of their guys telecommutes from one of the southern states of the
> US, whilst being officially stationed in their New York office.  I was
> also told that there's lots of opportunity to travel to New york, where
> half their team works..

I don't know the agent, but from this description I know the job.
This would be the team I recently left in order to go back and do my
D.Phil. in Byzantine history.  (That thing about wacky histories and
hobbies?  Yeah.)  Telecommuting might become an option after a while,
but I seriously doubt they'd want someone who was a telecommuter from
the start.  The telecommuter in Raf's description worked onsite in New
York for a few years before he moved.

£100K would have to be total comp, not base salary, though, if it is
what they are really offering.

-tara