[Banking-pm] What CPAN modules do you use?

Mark Blackman mark at blackmans.org
Thu Aug 23 03:35:18 PDT 2007

On 23 Aug 2007, at 11:01, mike at wormers.net wrote:

> Just curious about your useage thats all...
>
> re: evaluating if two numbers are the same.
>
> if two real numbers are equal you won't find a piece of model code
> that says
> double x;
> double y;
> if ( x == y )
>
> there will be (at the model level) some 'IsEqual' method that will
> default
> a precision. My point being that inside a model say its pointless
> to use
> greater than double b/c it implies a level of accurracy that simply
> doesn't exist.
>
> re: adding up swap notionals or some other total - then I'm
> suprised you'd
> need it..

Ok, in my case it was a balance comparison and it was actually a >= test
that failed when it shouldn't have done. It sounds like you're
suggesting
that you abandon (or perhaps overload) the built-in operators when
working
with real numbers, which certainly makes sense, given the limitations of
IEEE754.

- Mark