[Banking-pm] What CPAN modules do you use?

Mark Blackman mark at blackmans.org
Wed Aug 22 12:56:21 PDT 2007

On 22 Aug 2007, at 18:39, Adriano Ferreira wrote:

> On 8/22/07, Mark Blackman <mark at blackmans.org> wrote:
>>
>> On 22 Aug 2007, at 10:56, Billy Abbott wrote:
>>>
>>> Things like the ISIN module were what I was referring to - things
>>> which
>>> are more finance specific. There are a bunch of industry specific
>>> things
>>> up on CPAN for many different industries, I was just wondering if
>>> there
>>> are any that cater to our side of things that people actually use.
>>
>> Anyone using Math::BigInt or Math::BigFloat to deal with accumulation
>> of FP errors in computations?
>>
>> As illustrated by the trivial example of
>>
>> perl -e 'print "accumulation error!\n" if (0.25+0.33 != 0.58)';
>
> If you're prepared for the hit performance, then:
>
> $ perl -Mbignum -e 'print "ok!\n" if (0.25+0.33 == 0.58)';
> ok!
>
> works wonderfully. And don't forget these modules received a lot of
> attention recently. Many changes were introduced for the future 5.10
> perl release and are available already in the CPAN distributions.

Well, as bignum is just the transparent version of Math::BigFloat/
BigInt,
in a roundabout way, I'm asking does anyone on the list ever have a
requirement
to avoid these accumulation errors and is the requirement
sufficiently hard
that they are obliged to live with the performance hit to use
Math::BigFloat?

Do you use it for production work?

Regards,
Mark