[Banking-pm] What CPAN modules do you use?

Adriano Ferreira a.r.ferreira at gmail.com
Wed Aug 22 10:39:47 PDT 2007

On 8/22/07, Mark Blackman <mark at blackmans.org> wrote:

> On 22 Aug 2007, at 10:56, Billy Abbott wrote:
> >
> > Things like the ISIN module were what I was referring to - things
> > which
> > are more finance specific. There are a bunch of industry specific
> > things
> > up on CPAN for many different industries, I was just wondering if
> > there
> > are any that cater to our side of things that people actually use.
>
> Anyone using Math::BigInt or Math::BigFloat to deal with accumulation
> of FP errors in computations?
>
> As illustrated by the trivial example of
>
> perl -e 'print "accumulation error!\n" if (0.25+0.33 != 0.58)';

If you're prepared for the hit performance, then:

$ perl -Mbignum -e 'print "ok!\n" if (0.25+0.33 == 0.58)';
ok!

works wonderfully. And don't forget these modules received a lot of
attention recently. Many changes were introduced for the future 5.10
perl release and are available already in the CPAN distributions.