[Banking-pm] Intro: NIKC

Nik Clayton nik at ngo.org.uk
Fri Sep 8 08:16:59 PDT 2006

Given the sudden flurry of introductions I thought I'd jump in.

I'm Nik Clayton, NIKC on CPAN.  I work for a bank (well, Citigroup, and
we own several banks) but I don't do anything on the banking side.  I'm
one of the very small team that does the engineering for the e-mail
backbone.  That's pretty much everything between the Internet and the
internal Exchange servers.

So, lots of Perl.  All of the antispam is Perl, as is the antivirus
(perl XS wrapper around a vendor's C++ AV engine), the other general
filtering, and the message archiving system for compliance.  We also use
  Perl in the glue for our build system (all our configurations are
deployed as versioned Solaris packages which makes things easier), and
for running thousands of automated tests across our configurations
before they get deployed.  Everything from "Does Sendmail start up
correctly given this new configuration file?" to "Do all these sample
messages get filtered in the expected way with this new configuration?".
  We also use it for automated tests of a server's configuration and
network connectivity.

There are a few Test::* modules that have come out of this work.  The
other thing that's sprung from it has been my continued maintenance of
SVN::Web, since we needed a web based front end to our Subversion
repository and, at the time, that was the closest fit.