[Banking-pm] London based member

Martin Bower martin.bower at gmail.com
Fri Sep 8 06:26:16 PDT 2006

Hi,

as per Alex's email, thought I'd post a brief description of what I do ...

I sit on a prop trading desk in London, and manage electronic trading
systems  (Redibook from Goldmans, Bloomberg, Fidessa, Reuters, Eurex, GL
etc)
perl is used around all of these systems, to transfer data in/out of
front,back and middle office.

I'm mostly Solaris based, but also use XP (with Eclipse & Epic perl -
great)  to build Wx applications.

I use an intranet (Apache, mod_perl and TT ) to run perl applications, which
interface with various databases, and the traders here use this to
enter/modify data.
I generally try and build web apps to take care of daily tasks, to remove
the risk of mistakes and also to pass the tasks onto other people.

I'm currently working on a Fix electronic order routing project, which is
mostly Java based (although I have very limited Java skills for now). This
is controlled/monitored by perl processes, and web apps.

Apologies for any typos, I'm writing this on a Bloomberg keyboard - which is
horrible, and I'm trying to lose it.

If anyone has any experience of perl and Bloomberg, I'd be very interested
in hearing from you. I'd also be interested in seeing how easy it would be
to move my web apps into Catalyst or Jifty.

Martin