[Banking-pm] Business Knowledge?

Fred L Youhanaie fly at anydata.co.uk
Fri Oct 6 00:06:59 PDT 2006

Hi Alex,

alex at owal.co.uk wrote:
> I think the biggest thing holding people back from getting work in Banking
> IT is lack of business knowledge.

For a contractor, getting passed the agency is the biggest hurdle, with
or without the knowledge. Typically they expect to see banking buzzwords
on the CV.

My past experience in banks has always been on the infrastructure side,
so for me banking knowledge was not crucial to get the job or carry out
my duties. However, with the knowledge I would've been able to have more
intelligent conversations with colleagues/clients who at times appeared
to be speaking in tongues ;-)

> How do you try getting business knowledge? What sort of questions have you
> been asked in interview? What sort of resources would you like to help you
> with this?

I think your earlier idea of a wiki will be very useful here. There is a
great deal of resources on the Internet, but organizing the pointers
into an annotated collection around the theme of Banking IT (jobs, Perl,
etc) would probably be new.

Cheers
f.