[Bangalore-pm] Meetup venue

Ya'akov Sloman yaakov at perlfoundation.org
Thu Jun 20 02:17:36 PDT 2013

For those who might not know what a "Lightning Talk" is...

A Lightning Talk is a five minute talk on a subject of interest to the group.  It is highly informal, and can range from carefully prepared with a clever slide deck to an impromptu, off-the-cuff rant on a topic important to the speaker.  The key points are a LT are:

It is FIVE MINUTES long at most (this is important though sometimes, if you are really entertaining, they are very long minutes)
It is INFORMAL (no one is expected to give a wonderful performance, there is no pressure to be clever)
It is TOPICAL (it should be something of special interest to the speaker, but also to the group.  Often it is something new or unusual but this is not a requirement.  It should be informative.)
It is FUN (this is mandatory, that is, the speaker should be having fun doing it, even if they are nervous enough to drop their computer.)

If people really stick to the 5-minute limit, five talks can be presented in a half hour.  This means you get to know people who speak better.

This is a great idea, guys.  Good luck with it!

Ya'akov