[Bangalore-pm] Upgrading bangalore.pm.org

Shantanu Bhadoria shantanu at cpan.org
Mon Sep 17 23:56:45 PDT 2012

Hi guys,
Hope you all are doing well. Today we received a email from the folks that
maintain the pm.org DNS to upgrade our site at bangalore.pm.org
unfortunately that site was built on joomla 1.6.1 and since the good people
at Joomla decided to retract their steps to 1.5 and create a paralllel
upgrade path from 1.5 to 2.5 and another from Joomla 1.5 to 1.6 but no path
to go from 1.6 to 2.5 we are left in the lurch with no way of cleanly
upgrading our site to Joomla 2.5. SO we are left with a couple of options
now :

   1. Dump the current site's content and move to joomla 2.5 have
   volunteers from the group including myself manual copy the content over
   using a sql migration script.
   2. Dump the current site's content and switch to some other CMS, Perl
   based CMSes have matured a bit more since OUR site was launched but they
   are not anywhere near Joomla or Drupal yet. I looked at mojomojo and it
   might be a option going forward considering it acts more like wiki and we
   can give rights to more people to involve themselves with the site content.
   I can even assign parts of site to group members who are willing to take up
   responsiblity for their sections.

Please let me know what are your thoughts on this issue. For the record
here is the mail from people at pm.org

*"Google has informed us that bangalore.pm.org is running an old version
of Joomla.   Please upgrade bangalore.pm.org in the next two weeks, or
we may remove your DNS, as this can affect other pm.org sites.  I would
encourage you to move away from a dynamic system and to something
static.

Thanks!* *

-R* *

As of the last crawl of your website, you appear to be running Joomla* *
1.6. Google recommends that you update to the latest release. Older or
unpatched software may be vulnerable to hacking or malware that can hurt
your users. To download the latest release, visit the Joomla download
page. If you have already updated to the latest version of Joomla,
please disregard this message. If you have any additional questions
about why you are receiving this message, Google has provided more
background information in a blog post about this subject. Best wishes,
Google Search Quality Team*"