UMBC Linux Users Group talk on Security (fwd)

James W. Sandoz; (BIO;FAC) sandoz at umbc.edu
Wed Sep 1 08:26:18 CDT 1999

Note: Talk is in the Engineering and Computer Science Bldg at UMBC
Campus Map is at http://www.umbc.edu/AboutUMBC/CampusMap/
jws

forwarded posting:

Newsgroups: umbc.org.linux
Subject: Tutorial on Computer Security
Date: 30 Aug 1999 18:56:19 -0400

Note to LUGers:  John taught this tutorial awhile back.  I heard such
great things about it that I asked him to do it again!  He has come up
with a new, updated class.  Should be interesting!
-Rina

---
The LUG (Linux Users Group) is sponsoring a *free tutorial* on Computer
Security.  The tutorial will be:

	 Sunday, September 5th at 1pm, in ECS 333.

There is no need to register, just show up and enjoy the class!

Our instructor, John Jasen, has loads of experience in this rapidly
emerging field.

  He will discuss:
	a) physical security practises
	b) operational security practises
	c) network security practises

He will also "touch on" intrusion detection software, port-scanning,
compromise recovery, integrity checking software, and firewalling for an
enterprise environment.

Hope to see you there!
Rina