object Perl

Steve Waldman swaldman at mchange.com
Mon Aug 9 23:11:26 CDT 1999

Web applications are an instructive example.

As you suggest, in a simple CGI model, all this "OO" crap just seems
like extra syntax mucking up the works.

But consider -- CGI was rev 0, the very simplest possible interface for
using the web as an interface to applications rather than a glorified
way of ftp'ing text files.

In the simple CGI model, there is a single HTTP request, and it is your
job to construct a single HTTP response. Treating the request and
response info as global state works fine under this model.

But CGI's simple approach -- one request, one response, one process --
is inadequate for high-performance web applications. If you'd like many
requests to share expensive resources -- database connection handles
spring to mind -- all of that request/response state for all those
clients is gonna have to live in the address space of a single running
process. All of a sudden, you have to start asking the question "which
response am I manipulating?" or "which request am I extracting
parameters from?"

Of course, you could make a global hashtable and manage this yourself.
But you'd find the procedural syntax looking ugly, fast. Being able to
simply create a $cgi_obj and manipulate its variables without affecting
the state of the hundred other simultaneous requests will seem very
elegant by comparison.

OO stuff is all about structure -- there is nothing you can do with OO
that you couldn't do without it. For very simple, one-off problems, OO
stuff is just extra baggage. But as problems get more complex, or if
your simple things might be reused in large, complicated systems, it
starts to make a lot of sense to create walls that segregate data and to
organize subsystems in to types that people can understand without
remembering all the internals. The marginal cost of the extra syntax
diminishes as the size and complexity of the system grows.

    smiles,
       Steve