APM: questions about Perl, Apache, local::lib setup on Centos 6.4

Andrew Solomon andrew at geekuni.com
Fri Mar 13 06:57:51 PDT 2015

Hi Jack

You might want to consider using Nginx rather than Apache2 - my own
experience is that Nginx is easier. It's also worth using Plack so that -
from the viewpoint of your code it doesn't matter whether you're using
Apache2, Nginx or anything else (in principle).

http://plackperl.org/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdCmQJCaT0c

... just food for thought:)

Andrew

On Thu, Mar 12, 2015 at 4:34 AM, Jack Lupton <jacklupton at gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes, that makes sense. Just the jump start I needed.
>
> On Wed, Mar 11, 2015 at 10:09 PM, William N. Braswell, Jr. <
> william.braswell at autoparallel.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Jack,
>>
>> We use ShinyCMS on Catalyst on Apache2 on Ubuntu.
>>
>> There may be some useful info for you in my LAMP University install notes
>> document, starting around line 428:
>>

>> https://github.com/wbraswell/lampuniversity.org/blob/master/docs/LAMP_install_notes.txt
>>
>> Note the <Perl> sections of that Apache2 site config file.
>>
>> I use local::lib to install Shiny/Catalyst as my non-root user
>> 'wbraswell', then chown the '/home/wbraswell/public_html' directory for
>> Apache use, then set the above-linked Apache config file to find everything
>> needed in the home directory.
>>
>> As for Wordpress, we barely have the time to handle our existing
>> Shiny/Catalyst site, so personally I'll have to pass on anything extra
>> right now.
>>
>> Hope this helps!
>>
>> Perling,
>> ~ Will the Chill
>> Austin.pm Prez
>>

>> On 3/11/2015 at 2:23 PM, "Jack Lupton" <jacklupton at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Respected Perl Mongers,
>>
>> For some time I've been installing local::lib and PerlBrew to my home
>> directory. This allows me to install whatever Perl I want to use without
>> the
>> restrictions of the system Perl. I'm using PearlBee -
>> https://github.com/Perl-Evozon/PearlBee - for blogging software and
>> running plack to serve it up. I'm the only one perusing the web site.
>>
>> I'm getting ready to some more serious work and would like to use
>> Apache2. My
>> questions are: how do make my local::lib available to the pages being
>> served by
>> apache, and do I install local::lib to the directory in Apache? Is there
>> a secure way to still serve the web site from my home directory with Apache?
>>
>> TIA for insight or reference to relevant documentation.
>> Jack Lupton
>>
>> PS, I need to get PearlBee working with WordPress themes. Seems very
>> similar to what is being done with the Austin Perl Mongers website. Anyone
>> up for special sessions of APM on this subject?

Andrew Solomon

Mentor at Geekuni http://geekuni.com/
http://www.linkedin.com/in/asolomon