APM: Monthly Meeting Minutes

Will Braswell wbraswell at hush.com
Thu Aug 23 00:43:11 PDT 2012

Howdy Mongers,
We had another great meeting tonight.  The pizza at Reale's is
delicious, and their backroom is sufficiently private for our needs.
I plan to reschedule for the same venue in September unless something
better comes up in the meantime.
The meeting opened with a question about the status of Perl 6.  That
was discussed briefly, and segued into my presentation about the Perl
5 optimizing compiler project.  You can see some relatively in-depth
discussion (read: Holy War) about this on Perl Monks:
http://perlmonks.org/?node_id=987033http://perlmonks.org/?node_id=988109
Also of interest to developers and spectators may be the Trello board
I've created for this project, it is part of the Austin.pm Trello
organization:
https://trello.com/austinperlmongers
Currently, we plan to have Perl-compiling-guy Brian "Ingy dot net"
Ingerson come visit Austin for one of our weekly Tuesday meetings,
probably on September 18th.  We will then have also-compiler-guy Reini
Urban visit for our Wednesday monthly meeting on September 26th.
The second half of the meeting was spent with Jeremy presenting about
YAPC 2013 to be held here in Austin.  Jeremy is in contact with
Reini's coworkers at cPanel in Houston, who are graciously sponsoring
the YAPC event.  Over the coming days and weeks Jeremy will try to set
up a dual visit where one of the YAPC guys can maybe drive over with
Reini for the September 26 meeting.
Since cPanel is sponsoring the YAPC event, Austin Perl Mongers should
try our best to be good local hosts and work closely with cPanel to
make this the most awesome YAPC ever!
Perling,~ Will Braswell, President, Austin.PM