APM: Optimizing perl compiler

Will Braswell wbraswell at hush.com
Mon Aug 13 13:36:11 PDT 2012

Reini, Mark Lehmann is now the Vice President of the Austin Perl
Mongers.  I assume he will be at the September 26th meeting unless he
has some other pre-existing plans.
Mark, we await your confirmation of availability for the September
meeting.
Thanks,~ Will

On Monday, August 13, 2012 at 3:21 PM, Reini Urban  wrote:On
08/13/2012 03:16 PM, Will Braswell wrote:
> Reini,
>
> Thank you very much for both your private technical reply, as well
as
> the open reply to Austin Perl Mongers.
>
> We would love to have you as the primary presenter at our September
> meeting, which is scheduled for 8pm on Wednesday September 26th.
 >
> Does that date and time work for you?

Sure, I'll come.

Can you also ask Marc Lehmann to come, if possible.
He has the most insight of all p5 developers.
> On Monday, August 13, 2012 at 2:35 PM, Reini Urban  wrote:
>
>     Your new president Will posted something about his overly
ambitious
>     goal
>     for YAPC::US 2013 in beautiful Austin (Yeah!) on perlmonks
>     (http://perlmonks.org/index.pl?node_id=987033).
>
>     I am the maintainer of the perl compiler B::C/B::CC,
>     Mark Lehmann is the only significant other perl dev with a
compiler,
>     http://search.cpan.org/dist/Faster.
>     I moved to Houston to work full-time on the compiler last year,
which
>     became stable in December 2012 with version 1.42.
>
>     I thought we will should discuss such an effort and ideas in one
of the
>     next Austin.pm meetings.
>
>     cPanel is using the non-optimizing compiler B::C in production
for
>     several years with 5.6, and will switch soon to the latest B::C
version
>     with 5.14.
>
>     B::CC or other efforts can only profit from an optionally
tighter
>     language, with const and types. I prepared some nice and easy
proposals
>     already. See http://perlmonks.org/index.pl?node_id=987125
>     But I'm not confident that p5p wants to discuss this at all. So
I'm not
>     too optimistic to get const or type support at all to be able to
>     optimize perl.
>
>     The fallback plan is to use something like perl 7 which looks
like
>     this:
>     http://www.qore.org/
>     The current XS API might have to go, as XS function calls should
not
>     pick up their args from a perl array, rather from the C run-time
stack.
>     Several ideas were outlined here:
>     http://corehackers.perl.org/wiki/index.php5?title=Main_Page
>
>     In October I'm there for the Austin Film Festival, but my
schedule is
>     tight because there are many good films not to miss. So
September would