APM: Confusion Research Center Social

jameschoate at austin.rr.com jameschoate at austin.rr.com
Sun May 9 12:44:39 PDT 2010

Confusion Research Center Social
Event Venue: China Buffet 7301 Burnet Rd. #101
Date: Fri, 05/14/2010 - 7:00pm - 9:00pm

"To do the final far-out things"

Our plan is to start as a simple hackerspace and grow into a distributed
hands-on science and technology center. Our initial site will be in Austin, TX
to open in 2010 and start a second site in Cheyenne, WY a year or so later. We
will work with other hackspaces and museums to collect and share the efforts of
our participants and other groups. Since a major focus of our efforts is
hands-on and the Active Socratic Method we don't accept participants who are
younger than 12 yrs. of age, or not in at least the 6th grade. Austin has a very
successful children's museum and we strongly suggest you help them out.

The main goal of CRC is to provide infrastructure to the Central Texas
technology community. We don't take an active role in defining your projects or
how you manage them. Our interest is in providing a nice environment, tools, and
resources you need to execute your plans.

How to participate now!

If you're interested and in the local area please feel free to contact us and we
can schedule a time to talk about your interests. We consider our outreach to be
globally distributed so you don't need to be in Austin or Cheyenne to
participate. If you want to dedicate 4-5 hours a week to some project or SIG,
the first thing you want to do is go to Twine and create an account and join the
CRC twine. From there all you have to do is submit something to the CRC twine.

http://www.twine.com/twine/1178v3j0v-76w/confusion-research-center

The major hurdle is finding two additional board members. Texas non-profit law
requires a minimum of three (3) members on the Board of Directors before the
paperwork can be submitted. These need to be people who understand at least
basic business process, have an active role in technology, don't mind doing the
drudge work, are familiar with the culture of hackerspaces and maybe even
science centers, and are willing to take a leading role in how CRC is managed.
In particular they need to be willing to help pay the monthly operating costs
when income is low, and be available 20 hours or so a week.

Confusion Research Center (CRC) will begin holding twice a month socials for
those interested in hackerspaces and related activities. The idea is for
participants to bring white papers, articles, projects, and other items of
interest to share and build on.

CRC Hackerspace Social (2nd and 4th Friday of each month) May 14 & 28 7pm to 9pm
China Buffet 7301 Burnet Rd. #101 (512-459-1600) It's just N. of Dallas
nightclub Look for the red covered "Applied Cryptography" book.

http://hackerspaces.org/wiki/Confusion_Research_Center

--
 -- -- -- --
Venimus, Vidimus, Dolavimus