APM: CRC: Early web server planning...

jameschoate at austin.rr.com jameschoate at austin.rr.com
Fri Jul 2 08:10:34 PDT 2010

I've started looking at what the framework should look like once the initial server is up. At this point here's where I"m at,

- Linux OS (using basic LAMP architecture w/ normal Unix user services like IRC, email, etc.)

- Services and resources distributed across multiple servers in different cities (Austin and Cheyenne to start)

- Drupal for the web services

- Hadoop (incl. Chukwa) for managing the distributed computing aspects

- BOINC for dealing with application layer distributed computing

- Need to have a mechanism using DynDNS to provide emergency fail-over (check w/ the provider to see if they have any kind of DynDNS support or problem with our using it)

- The web architecture should be based on Web 3.0/Semantic Web toolkits, this should include NLP and AI agents

- Needs to have a revision control mechanism available (and used!)

I'll be in Cheyenne the week of Aug. 16 for three days. I expect to have the server available at the beginning of Sept. I'm going to continue to pursue additional members for the Board of Directors so we can incorporate in Texas as a non-profit. If that is not resolved by Jan 1, 2011 then I'm going to look at other alternatives to get a workspace open.

--
Venimus, Vidimus, Dolavimus

jameschoate at austin.rr.com
james.choate at g.austincc.edu