APM: The proper way to use CPAN on a server

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Fri Apr 9 09:58:18 PDT 2010

I've been lazy due to being on a single-user machine, either at home
or a Windows box at work.

I got IT at work to install Perl 5.10.1 on a server.  I want to update
the modules for all users.  I've had an odd amount of trouble finding
info on the Proper Way to upgrade -- maybe my Google-fu is weak today.
Is it as simple as "sudo cpan upgrade"?  Should I worry about
upgrading CPAN itself first, if necessary, and if so, how?  Are there
any modifications due to
     Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 5.4 (Tikanga)
?

Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com