APM: CPANP / CPANPLUS / CPAN++?

Montgomery Conner montgomery.conner at gmail.com
Wed Apr 7 19:39:09 PDT 2010

CPANPLUS is a library offering an enhanced API by which to interact with
CPAN mirrors.

You can access these new features programmatically via CPANPLUS::Backend,
or, if you're just looking for regular old CPAN-shell functionality, you
have a choice of any of the options in the CPANPLUS::Shell::* namespace.

You'll get the default shell by simply issuing the command - 'cpanp'. Once
at the cpanp prompt ('cpanp>') type 'h', just like the classic cpan shell,
for a help menu...

So why bother? Well, it's really a matter of preference and whether you
think you need the additional functionality.

Do you ever find yourself wanting to uninstall a module and reinstall a
previous version in a simple and automated way? Did you ever find yourself
wanting to use a simple shell to install a module's tar.gz bundle from local
disk (or from a custom, non CPAN mirror, URL) without all the manual
invocation, dependency checking, and having to be aware of the module's
build system intricacies such as whether it used ExtUtils::Makemaker or
Module::Build? Then maybe CPANPLUS is for you...

As always, there's an awful lot of documentation available through your
local CPAN mirror. Try 'perldoc CPANPLUS::Shell::Default' for a quick start
on the default shell...

Hope that helps,