APM: Follow up -- Wanting to get into IT/Sys Admin

jameschoate at austin.rr.com jameschoate at austin.rr.com
Thu Oct 8 23:47:41 PDT 2009

There was some question about what were some good books to read...

It's a little old but I still consider it the first book any budding sys admin should read,

http://oreilly.com/catalog/9780596003432/

Quite a few in this list are required reading for sys admins,

http://oreilly.com/pub/topic/serveradmin

Some books I have and suggest, note that this is an old page that I've not updated in a couple of years so not all the links are active anymore;

http://ssz.com/Hangar18/links.html

The book that Linus was using in his class when he started Linux,

http://www.developertutorials.com/reviews/administration/unix-operating-system-050803/page1.html

You'll also want to get a copy of the 'Dinosaur Book' on operating systems,

http://www.amazon.com/Operating-System-Concepts-Windows-Update/dp/0471250600

you can find copies at Half Price on N. Lamar pretty regularly.

Also for compilers, lexical analyzers, etc. you'll want the 'Dragon Book',

http://www.amazon.com/Compilers-Principles-Techniques-Alfred-Aho/dp/0201100886

For bash programming,

http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Bash-Prog-Intro-HOWTO.html

http://tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/

For general Linux documentation,

http://tldp.org/

You'll definitely want to make the 'NAG' one of the first things you read for Linux,

http://tldp.org/LDP/nag/nag.html

For Sun Solaris documentation,

http://docs.sun.com/

I suggest you get the big .zip for 8, 9, and 10. You'll find all three in pretty common usage in production tool chains.

and finally, --THE-- place to get Linux, BSD, and Solaris CD's,

http://www.osdisc.com/cgi-bin/view.cgi/index.html

in particular if you're a sys admin and not using the SystemRescueCD you don't have half a clue,

http://www.osdisc.com/cgi-bin/view.cgi/products/livecd/systemrescuecd

--
 -- -- -- --
Venimus, Vidimus, Dolavimus