APM: "Research Safari" & my "Experimental RSS::Email Aggregator" Twine Project

jameschoate at austin.rr.com jameschoate at austin.rr.com
Thu Jun 18 06:32:27 PDT 2009

Hi,

Here is a project I started last year but didn't get very far on because of a job change and a couple of other issues. I was thinking of picking it back up over the summer.

http://www.twine.com/twine/115r3vhx8-n8c/experimental-rss-email-aggregator

The basic idea was to use a RSS feed into an 'aggregator' twine. Then pull feeds from that twine and feed them into a Bayesian spam filter to sort them into the Library of Congress topical heirarchy. Then take this output and put them into the relevant 'topic' twine. The purpose of the aggregator twine was to make the raw feed available for other applications YTBD.

If you're not familiar with alternate uses of Bayesian spam filters, please see...

"Can a spam filter play chess?"

http://dbacl.sourceforge.net/spam_chess.html

Library of Congress Classification Online

http://www.loc.gov/catdir/cpso/lcco/

http://library.duke.edu/services/instruction/libraryguide/lcclass.html

As part of the hacker space that I'm working on I've decided to start doing a 'Research Safari' the first and third Saturday of each  month. This would consist of meeting at UT on the West Mall in front of the Student Union at 10am. We would then retire to an appropriate library and take over one of the study rooms. We would be so occupied until no later than 6pm working on project planning, problem resolution, and coding. This will start in July and occur on the 4th and 18th. Please pass it around as a "CRC Research Safari" (CRC is Confusion Research Center). The long term goal is to find somebody to help organize it so it can occur every Saturday. There are no real topic or group affiliation limitations and if somebody just wanted to tag along to do homework that's ok also. The only real limitation is we have a lower age/grade limit of 12yrs/6th grade (neither the libraries or our interests are suitable for babysitting, sorry), minors should be accompanied by a parent.

Confusion Research Center:

http://www.twine.com/twine/1178v3j0v-76w/confusion-research-center

http://ssz.com/CRC/

Please contact me directly if interested.

--
 -- -- -- --
Venimus, Vidimus, Dolavimus

James Choate