APM: January Meeting - tomorrow!

Thomas L. Shinnick tshinnic at io.com
Tue Jan 20 19:12:42 PST 2009

At 03:55 PM 1/20/2009, Ian Remmler wrote:
>Sorry for the very short notice.  I reserved the party room at
>Mangia on Gracy Farm for 7:00 PM - 9:00 PM tomorrow night,
>Wednesday 1/21.
>
>http://www.mangiapizza.com/33/Gracy-Farms.htm
>
>I'll demo the latest rakudo and show some actual functional code
>some people have written in Perl 6.  It shouldn't take too long,
>so if anyone has any interesting Perl bits they would like to
>share, feel free to bring a laptop, or just stand up and blab
>for a few minutes.

Did you install rakudo on Windows or Linux?  I was able to get 'most'
of rakudo built, but using the Strawberry Perl 5.10 release to allow
compiles as it has its own complete build environment.  But... a few
rakudo build problems and much poking of makefiles.  Classic was that
since cygwin *nix tools were (originally) in the path, the build
thought it could use Bash but then also '\' path separators because
it was Windows.

Actually I've been peering under the lid of the rakudo compiling
setup, and at one group's poke at implementing Javascript.  So far my
only exposure to real Perl 6 is looking at the regex stuff in the parser's.

I'll be there.  Perl 6 for me so far is sorta like how I recognize
spoken Korean - it sounds _just_ like Japanese but it's not Japanese
- I know it solely by what it is not?

--
I'm a pessimist about probabilities; I'm an optimist about possibilities.
     Lewis Mumford  (1895-1990)