APM: TRG Maker SIG - Aug 13 Agenda

jameschoate at austin.rr.com jameschoate at austin.rr.com
Wed Aug 12 14:16:27 PDT 2009

Just a reminder that the TRG Maker SIG is tomorrow night.

7:00 - 8:00        We'll be looking at PCB techniques, basic perfboard construction techniques, and review any past techniques as needed. The SMT Rework Station was ordered and it is supposed to be in this week. This means we'll be able to work on surface mount technology at the next, and last, soldering skill session. This time slot will be followed by two sessions of how to use a multimeter, both analog and digital.

8:00 - 8:30        Normal TRG Business

8:30 - 10:00      Lego Mindstorms will be getting our bots rolling and programmed to 'draw' a square on a flat surface. We'll then add bump switches and work with responses to same. If we have time I'd like to get a downward looking sensor for doing black/white recognition for future projects (eg line following & sumo combat). I'll bring the combat ring so people can see where we'll be playing with the bots at the meeting in two weeks. I also have two RCX bricks that those who don't have a Mindstorm set are welcome to use to participate. I'll start the 8:30 session with a short (~15m) history of Lego Mindstorms.

Proposed Future Sessions:

These are some projects I'm working on for CRC and would like to demo to TRG during a maker SIG in late Nov/Dec. If you have other topics please let me know and I'll see what I can do about building something up around them.

- An Incomplete History of RPN Scientific Calculators: I've got several HP and a couple of Soviet RPN calculators so people can not only learn a little bit about them but also do a little programming. I have a large library of software for all the HP scientific calculators. Feel free to bring your own RPN calculator to share. For those who are intimidated about learning to program, these friendly little machines can be very helpful in pinning down the basic algorithmic techniques. (1 hour)

- Handling High Voltage: The next project I'm starting in about a week is a Jacob's Ladder.  This would be a very good tool to introduce some basics about high voltage and safe techniques to work around it. (1 hour)

Please let others know of the TRG Maker SIG, and feel free to come and work on your own projects. We consider it an 'open microphone' event. Hope to see you there!

--
 -- -- -- --
Venimus, Vidimus, Dolavimus

James Choate