APM: APM - Future activity

jameschoate at austin.rr.com jameschoate at austin.rr.com
Tue Dec 23 09:32:37 PST 2008

if you knew me better you wouldn't be :)

As to approaching groups with caution, really no need at all.
What I'm proposing is not really getting 'groups' to do things
but finding individuals in those groups who share an
interest. I really am not expecting to get APM to do anything
beyond what it has already accomplished, what I'm looking
for is one or two kindred spirits.

User groups in general are a terrible place to get projects
off the ground if you want the group in toto to do it, too
much politics, apathy/self-interest, and push_me-pull_you.
They are however a good place to find individuals with skills
and interests in certain areas. Sometimes you get lucky.

A good example of the difference between most user
groups and one with spark, the Austin Robot Group. They
hit 20 years this year, and look at the plethora of things
they do, week after week, year after year.

Happy Holidays!

---- lists at chrisbaker.net wrote:

> There are a whole lot of groups in town. Some I definitely getting
> involved with. I can think of a few groups that I would definitely
> approach with caution.
>
> I'm surprised James Choate did not mention any of the local Linux user
> groups, as most PERL users are also Linux users.

Venimus, Vidimus, Dolavimus

James Choate
jameschoate at austin.rr.com
james.choate at twcable.com