APM: Just need structs

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Fri Sep 14 17:23:48 PDT 2007

On Fri, 14 Sep 2007, Montgomery Conner <montgomery.conner at gmail.com>
wrote:
> If you need random access to the data you can do it most easily with
> a hash of (anonymous) hashes

That's what I'm doing, via Class::Struct for the instances.  I'm not
sure Class::Struct buys me much more than documentation.

> or if this only interacts with Perforce you could avoid reinventing
> the wheel and just use something in the P4 namespace from CPAN. Like
> this guy:
> http://search.cpan.org/~smee/P4-3.5313/P4.pm<http://search.cpan.org/%7Esmee/P4-3.5313/P4.pm>

*blink*

*blink* *blink*

I shoulda figured that there would be a Perl module for it.  It's a
valuable lesson.  Thank you.

On the other hand, the two reviews are

     P4 (3.5313)

     This is the best module to use if you are one of those who do not
     like system calls. It is also very fast compared to calling
     perforce through system calls. p4 tagged mode( p4 -ztag) will
     return the results in a hash which saves you the trouble of
     parsing the output. The support is also excellent and requests for
     support on different platforms has been very prompt. Also has a
     very simple and intuitive interface provided you already know
     perforce.

     P4 (3.5313)

     Wished there weren't
     soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
     many hoops through which I jumped. and still nothing. Forget
     this. Use system calls. This is a waste of your time. Turn back
     now.

And I've already coded the p4 system() calls.

Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com