APM: Cool Perl Advanced DBI presentation

Jay Flaherty jayflaherty at gmail.com
Thu Sep 14 04:31:10 PDT 2006

I was at OSCON this year and saw this presentation. Below is the
summary I gave to our engineering team at work:

Another Tutorial I went to was Tim Bunce's "Advanced Perl DBI". It was
pretty dissapointing as it seems to be the same one he gives year
after year (I wish I went to Damien Conway's "Mastering Vim" instead).
There was one interesting thing I learned from Mr. Bunce that I
thought I would share.

Originally, DBI 1.x branch would remain perl5 and DBI 2.x will be
perl6. A lot of time was spent fleshing out how to get DBI to run
under perl6 (http://www.mail-archive.com/dbi-dev@perl.org/msg03965.html).
Due to real life and the addition of a new baby in Tim's life, not
much has been done on that front. So Tim added the following idea to
The Perl Foundation's Summer of Code project list
(http://www.perl.org/advocacy/summerofcode/ideas.html). In short:
Reimplement the DBI v1 API in Pugs
  Design an implementation of the DBI API in Perl 6 using Pugs.
  The goal is to maintain the familiar DBI API while radically refactoring
  the internals to make best use of Perl 6 and so enable greater
  functionality and extensibility. (mentor: Tim Bunce)

A proposal was submitted for this project and was accepted
(http://code.google.com/soc/tpf/appinfo.html?csaid=2724C0CE12822D61)
and a lot of work has been done on that front.
So, Tim began thinking of the API for DBI 2.x. What he has decided was
to implement the JDBC API in perl6. He wants to do this for many
reasons.
1. JDBC API is very mature.
2. JDBC API is very well known.
3. Why reinvent the wheel.
4. Goal is to get all parrot languages to adopt DBI 2.x as the defacto
standard for the database API. This will help with developer support,
vendor support, etc.