APM: reading/writing (Acrobat) PDF

austin.pm at sam-i-am.com austin.pm at sam-i-am.com
Tue Sep 12 12:28:32 PDT 2006

Does anyone have experience with reading/writing (Acrobat) PDF files?
I need to make some tedious changes to lots of files and output them
back to pdf.

I'm on windows (xp pro), with ActiveState's perl 5.8.7

I'm going down the list on CPAN:

PDF - installed fine,craps out on any kind of pdf file that I have,
with a "Bad object reference '' at.." message, when I call the new()
constructor.

CAM::PDF - builds ok, but dumps garbage to the console while running
the tests and never recovers

PDFLib - $450 dependency, would go a long way towards getting Adobe's
own developer tools

PDF::API2 - there's a lot to work through here, but looks promising in
its depth, if not immediate usability

anything else I should look at? The pdfs in question are product
sheets - photos, pricing/specification tables etc. I need to insert
some web links.

Sam